The Shovel

This forum is for first time users or beginners
Igloo Ed
Re: The Shovel

Post by Igloo Ed » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:39 pm

shapeshifter wrote:feels pretty good to have my assumptions confirmed...
I once had a similar thing happen with a boss. I told him, "Great minds run in the same gutter", he didn't see the humor in it.
yes, i would have to concur, this shovel looks like it will be just right!
I'm sure we'd all appreciate an opinion after you've used it. Things like, does the blade freeze up with ice, the telescoping handle freeze up and hard to break free. The Dee handle wide enough for a serious mitt or glove. Angle of blade to handle so you don't need to stoop to far.
Wooo Hooo, there's snow in them thar hills.

Tait_Lake
AntiSpam:Igloo

Post by Tait_Lake » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:58 am

I think I figured out a pretty good option for the extended shovel without the epoxy/wax molding process.

I went to the Voile website and orderd the Telepro T6 shovel, but then also ordered a spare Telepro handle (there is a link to "spare parts") for another $23.

Process:
1) Drill out the rivet holding the handle onto the end of the spare and pulled it off.
2) Cut off the necked down end of the larger diameter pipe (the section that inserts into the shovel head),
3) Mark and drill a series of holes, every 2 inches, along that larger diameter piece
4) Assemble the shovel with the "double handle", up to 53" long and stable - and can be collapsed down as far as you need - by taking out the extra two sections and reverting to the original shovel geometry.

All told, this took me about 20 minutes and an extra $23 on top of the base shovel.
Attachments
finished shovel up to 55 inches.jpg
drill holes every 2 inches.jpg
cut off tapered end.jpg
shovel and handle.jpg

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:23 am

Tait_Lake wrote:I think I figured out a pretty good option for the extended shovel without the epoxy/wax molding process.

I went to the Voile website and orderd the Telepro T6 shovel, but then also ordered a spare Telepro handle (there is a link to "spare parts") for another $23.

Process:
1) Drill out the rivet holding the handle onto the end of the spare and pulled it off.
2) Cut off the necked down end of the larger diameter pipe (the section that inserts into the shovel head),
3) Mark and drill a series of holes, every 2 inches, along that larger diameter piece
4) Assemble the shovel with the "double handle", up to 53" long and stable - and can be collapsed down as far as you need - by taking out the extra two sections and reverting to the original shovel geometry.

All told, this took me about 20 minutes and an extra $23 on top of the base shovel.
Looks like a pretty good solution to me. Thanks for letting us know.
Is the handle floppy at all with that many joints in it?