Winter Camp near Buffalo - Igloos a big hit

Use this forum for posting and viewing igloo photo's
mmallin
AntiSpam:Igloo
Winter Camp near Buffalo - Igloos a big hit

Post by mmallin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:18 am

Hello forum,

My first post here. I purchased an IceBox for our Boy Scout Troop here in Mars PA ( just north of Pittsburgh). Last weekend we travelled up to Schoellkopf Scout Reservation southeast of Buffalo where there was still 6-8 inches of snow on the ground. We were hoping for feet of snow to build on but were happy enough with the 6-8 inches which was 6-8 inches more than we had in Pittsburgh were it was almost 50 degrees the day before we departed.

The snow in Buffalo was "old" and fairly crystallized, very much like the sugar snow that Ed describes in his video. We only had a few hours to work with on Friday afternoon and got about half done with igloo #1. Friday night was spent in tents at a chilly 18 degrees with about 5-10 mph winds.

We had a full day on Saturday and completed the intial 10 ft igloo and then built an 11 ft and a second 10 ft. Our guys needed to harvest alot of snow from an open field and bring it back over to our build site. We ended up running a water hose out to the build site and started to mist water into our mixing area which got the snow really good and sticky and it began to pack great!

Igloo #3 was finished in just under 2 hours just as we were losing day light. All 13 of our scouts spent the night in their igloo's on Saturday and the 4 adult leaders had another night in the tent. Somethign I am sure they will remember for the rest of their lives. We were pretty exhasuted after building 3, we had to move ALOT of snow.

Here is the link to our new Troop facebook page with pictures http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mars-PA-T ... 3?v=photos

Igloo Ed

Re: Winter Camp near Buffalo - Igloos a big hit

Post by Igloo Ed » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:23 pm

Those are some pretty fortunate young fellas, the pictures look like everyone had a great time. Man, that's a lot of gear you guys have. I don't see many troops with skis.
Just two hours on the third igloo is pretty good for anyone yet alone your first time out with the ICEBOX.
I'd imagine a few badges were earned on that trip.