Time Lapse

Use this forum for posting and viewing igloo photo's
cywgdave
AntiSpam:Igloo
Time Lapse

Post by cywgdave » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:05 pm

Put this up in my suburban backyard, mostly solo, help was pretty much limited to a helper collecting snow for me and a little help holding the inner panel on the last 2-3 rows.

It didn't last as long as I wanted as I messed up the angle of the first row (you can see the kink about halfway through the second row) but it was still strong enough to hold me up before I cut it up.

The entry tunnel was constructed out of 5 extra blocks that I cast by placing the open end if the form against a vertical surface and them letting them set up. I then used a hand saw to cut them along the side and bottom and then form to shape the arch. Works well and the extended entrance really keeps the wind out. I just put a piece of foam on the inside of the tunnel and even without completely sealing the opening it suffices.

did one night at -32C with my 7 year old, he sleeps better out there than in his own bed!

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUXe26-nOKE

Banff Martin

Re: Time Lapse

Post by Banff Martin » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:20 pm

Neat! I should try a time lapse next time I build.

How many igloos have you built with the Icebox tool?

How long did it last, and how did it come down? I've done an 11' once, but we used new snow and it didn't freeze that night so it did a slow-motion crumple over a few days.

Thanks for posting!
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

cywgdave

Re: Time Lapse

Post by cywgdave » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:41 am

The time lapse was fun, used a GoPro and then had to play around with the software to get it to look good.

I'm up to about 6 or 7 along with helping on a couple more. Learned stuff from each one.

It was about a month and I deliberately took it down, with the error in the angle of the first row the walls were doing a slow motion vertical buckling (probably similar to what you had happen) and the available area inside was getting smaller. I kind of assessed how much time I had left in the winter and decided that if I wanted to keep using it I'd have to rebuild so I took it down by cutting it into chunks with a hand saw. I then used a snowblower to chew the blocks up and rebuilt. In the past I've gotten 90+ days out of one I did. (I am in Winnipeg, we get cold and stay cold so things don't melt- my neighbours also have a large pine that shades the area I build in so that really helps.)

The second one I expect to get about 6-8 weeks out of depending on how the spring melt goes. Right now I'm up to 5 weeks and just starting to see the south side getting hit by the sun and starting to go. Still strong (my kids climb on it to slide down) and still warm- I spent the night in it last night with the kids (4 and 7) at -24c and other than one for some reason unzipping his sleeping bag and rolling out of it we were fine.