First Igloo

Use this forum for posting and viewing igloo photo's
Vander Elst
First Igloo

Post by Vander Elst » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:20 pm

Sad to say it warmed up over 32 that night (close to 40's) and i learned my first lession in staying in igloo's, always make sure its under 32 deg.
Attachments
Copy of jub 012 (640x483).jpg
First igloo
Vander Elst

Igloo Ed

Re: First Igloo

Post by Igloo Ed » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:21 pm

Vander Elst wrote:Sad to say it warmed up over 32 that night (close to 40's) and i learned my first lession in staying in igloo's, always make sure its under 32 deg.
Welcome to the forum. That's a mighty nice looking igloo for your first one. The right shape and the door below the floor, nice.
I've had the sagging happen a few times and it is generally when I build with cold/fresh powder and then it warms up. The powder can compress easily and usually the sunny side is the side that sags first. I've actually built an igloo when the day temperatures were in the 70s but I built the igloo from glacial snow that was very heavy and consolidated. It even rained 1/2 inch or more on the igloo and it was fine.

Vander Elst

Post by Vander Elst » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:39 pm

The snow packing was so easy, but very heavy, my poor friend was wasted when we got it finished, we woke up about 3 am and a storm blew in, and the walls was getting thin, wind and water coming in. So we figure its about time to start our 5 mile hike out.
The memores. :D
Vander Elst

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Vander Elst wrote:The snow packing was so easy, but very heavy, my poor friend was wasted when we got it finished, we woke up about 3 am and a storm blew in, and the walls was getting thin, wind and water coming in. So we figure its about time to start our 5 mile hike out.
The memores. :D
Ah, it didn't sag then... It melted through.
Covering the windy side with a tarp might have stopped or slowed down the melting.

Fish36

Post by Fish36 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:31 pm

Hey Ed

Thanks for all the help. We finally got snow here in Framingham MA late December 08. I thought I would send a picture of the first one . We built it on our deck it is a 9 foot. I was hoping for good cold weather to make it last but we got just a few days with it. We had pizza, hot chocolate and drinks on occasion in the 5 days it survived. It took one heck of a lot of rain and warm weather to take her down, but two days of rain was more than it could take.

I will send a picture of number two we made on new years day an 11 footer with only 3 inches of snow. More on that later.

Thanks again
Attachments
DSC02178s.jpg

rofa

Post by rofa » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:56 pm

First icebox Igloo Barrington (southern) NH.
Built December 27th 2008, expected to last til mid March 2009.
Took me 8 hours solo to build it. Have slept out in it and run an extension cord for light out into it. Have it placed under my screen house frame in the backyard so that when it rains I can protect it with a tarp. It rained when I built it. It was the highlight of my wife's birthday party. Everybody chuckled when I told them I built an igloo and offered for them to campout in it. Then there is a big "wow" on their faces when they see it. Now everyone wants to build one of their own.
We fit thirteen kids into it and could have fit more. See the Youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMbrZbJM1TI
Attachments
100_4996a.jpg

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:47 am

rofa wrote:We fit thirteen kids into it and could have fit more. See the Youtube video.
Catching up here and welcome to the forum Fish36 and Rofa.
Fish, looks like you've been having fun. Can't wait to hear the story of the 11 ft. igloo with only 3 inches of snow.
Rofa, that's too funny with all those kids coming out of the igloo. Looks like quite the neighborhood too with a sled hill and a neighbor with a fire to warm the kids up.
Here is a picture of our first igloo from using the first prototype form:
FirstIgloo3.jpg
We didn't know the correct shape at that time and had no pole to guide us. That igloo sagged down to my buddies face by morning.
The next picture is our second igloo with a better prototype form but all we had was sugar snow and a form with no pole. We didn't get the igloo any higher than that because the blocks were breaking without a pole for support. We ended up putting a layer of blocks on the wall to make it taller and then covered it with skis, a tarp and some snow:
SecondIgloo2.jpg
This is our third igloo:
ThirdIgloo.jpg
We had incorporated a pole that gave us nearly the correct shape and made it much easier to hold the form steady. Notice the lack of white in my beard. I'm on the right with the purple coat.

Ken

Post by Ken » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:07 pm

that is soo cool to see the/your history Ed!
thanks for posting those shots.

Ken

Ken

Post by Ken » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:16 pm

here is my number 1:

It took longer than expected(over 10 hrs), but learned a lot
and had a great time. The visual story is here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9vuczPmkJk
(click the hd link next to the volume for better quality)
Attachments
KAScott_20090222_9850b.jpg