A snowy day

Use for posting climbing pictures and igloo's.
Igloo Ed
A snowy day

Post by Igloo Ed » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:08 pm

We went up again today to the same spot we went yesterday but took a couple variants to the route to change it up a bit. I took my time today and captured a few good pictures in spite of the wonderful falling snow.
It was nearly dead calm today with the snowflakes coming down nearly vertical most of the day and we started out on a few inches of fresh snow that had fallen late yesterday after we left. The snow had blown slightly in places completely covering yesterday's tracks in the windy spots but the packed base was there and the few inches of fresh snow made the trail pretty heavenly.
There were several variants to the route from yesterday over terrain I haven't traveled yet this season but the snow base was good enough that we only fell through the snow a few times. Yep, the snow conditions are just getting good and, the snow that was falling all day and is supposed to fall into the evening, they are sure to improve rapidly.
I took a short spur off of yesterday's route to check out a huge boulder that I have stopped by to visit in the summer:

I like this view of the rock with a standing burnt tree from the 1927 fire that raged through the area:

It was snowing enough that landscape pictures were pretty much out of question, so we decided to pass on Beautiful Lake Marv but did take a picture through the trees:

The snow was building up on the trees all day and everything seemed so crisp and clear as we traveled through the woods:

I took a better look around when we reached our lunch spot from yesterday and found this burnt remnant, from the old fire also, that reminded me of a picked over skeleton:

The same tree from another angle and a neutral background made it look like it was in a studio getting it's portrait taken:

Another fire tree looked eerie when looking up the canyon with the snow blocking any view into the distance:

One of the variants to the route today took us past what promises to be an exciting slope later this season when the snow gets deeper:
What a lovely calm and quiet day with the snow falling very softly.