5 Days in Prince Albert National Park

Use for trip reports and photo's for general non-climbing trips
Rugger
AntiSpam:Igloo
5 Days in Prince Albert National Park

Post by Rugger » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:25 pm

Here is a link to a Solo trip I did using the IceBox Igloo tool.
http://www.wintertrekking.com/community ... pic=3277.0

Banff Martin

Re: 5 Days in Prince Albert National Park

Post by Banff Martin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:25 am

Neat! I'd really like to do that.

I must admit I'd rather do a 2 or even 3 stage run at it, so the pad is built a night before the igloo and the igloo before I arrive after a snowshoe adventure...would that be taking out much of the adventure..?

I'm curious as to your 'magic' methods for preparing the sugar snow? I sweep it back & forth, and also step on it & mix it several times in a large bucket when there is time.
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Rugger

Post by Rugger » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:13 pm

Hey BM,

Taking 3 days to build the igloo in the back country might take a little bit out of the adventure ;)
That being said and if you are interested I was thinking of maybe doing a 3-4 day Waterton trip in mid March but could easily be swayed to do something
a little closer to Canmore.

As for the magic, patience and more patience. I haven't totally figured out all the magic but I do try and push my fingers/hand deep into the form to make sure there
are no air pockets and then pack from there. I also stick handle the snow under my feet and step on it a few times.

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:55 pm

Rugger wrote:Hey BM,

Taking 3 days to build the igloo in the back country might take a little bit out of the adventure ;)
That being said and if you are interested I was thinking of maybe doing a 3-4 day Waterton trip in mid March but could easily be swayed to do something
a little closer to Canmore.

As for the magic, patience and more patience. I haven't totally figured out all the magic but I do try and push my fingers/hand deep into the form to make sure there
are no air pockets and then pack from there. I also stick handle the snow under my feet and step on it a few times.
I hope you guys get together for a trip. Always nice to be with another igloo nut.
Sounds like you figured out the packing of the snow. As far as handling the snow, it does work better if the snow is put into the form and packed as quickly as possible after working it up. For me, I just sweep the snow over and use it. I suppose that is another part of rounding up just enough snow for one block at a time.
I read your trip report and like it and the pictures. Nice snow and area.
Great to hear how warm the igloo was with the cold temps you had. It'll be interesting to see how you guys do if you do a trip together.

Banff Martin

Post by Banff Martin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:24 am

I'd like that too Rugger! Let me know if this looks to be possible with your schedule, and we can see if the weather cooperates on this end as well.
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!