INSTC Norway Trip March 2012

Use this forum for posting trip reports and photo's from groups such as the Boy Scouts and other organizations.
Andy
AntiSpam:Igloo
INSTC Norway Trip March 2012

Post by Andy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:32 pm

The ski club went for another visit to Brandseth in the Hordaland region for the club overseas holiday. This year I advised members that there would be an opprotunity to camp overnight in an Igloo. Chris Townsnd had gib=ven the club a talk on his adventures with Igloo Ed in Yellowstone and the Wind River Mountains so there was an interest created and several members decided to take sleeping bags and mats.
The trip included 12 club members and seven came on the Igloo building trip. With just one Ice Box there was probably too many helpers to ensure quality control! We settled on a site with a slope to give a good walk in door but this did mean a considerable amount of packing on the down slope. 9 foot Igloo was built to give accomodation for three people.
P1010551.JPG
Many helpers for the Igloo in Brandseth dalen
The temperature was about 5 Celcious (about 42F) so it was quite wet work and luckly the snow was well crystallised and packing was easy. Some surface sludgy powder created some problems and later led to some holes when it rained in the night!
P1010581.JPG
Yet another completed Igloo in Norway
P1010557.JPG
Real enthusiasm and team work had the 9ft Igloo completed in abou 4 hours including instruction of 4 new Igloo builders.
Norway INSTC 2012-081.JPG
Easy entrance to Igloo by building on a slope.

I was left to do final adjustment to door entrance while the others returned to Brandseth for dinner. Howard and Dave then joined me at about 10:00pm skiing up the hill with head torches to sleep the night delivering a welcome glass of Port.
P1010564.JPG
Port to finish supper and aid sleep!
Next morning Howard and Dave skied back for Breakfast at Brandseth while I enjoyed a relaxed breakfast in the Igloo before fixing the holes!
Last edited by Andy on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Igloo Ed

Re: INSTC Norway Trip March 2012

Post by Igloo Ed » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:40 am

Andy wrote:With just one Ice Box there was probably too many helpers to ensure quality control!
Heh, hopefully some of the ones with experience now will join and help teach on future trips.
A glass of port for a night cap... nice.

Andy
AntiSpam:Igloo

Post by Andy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:31 pm

Hi Ed
Yes I think there will be some more members wanting to camp next season after the Norway trip. The owner of the Hotel we stayed at, Erling (Brandseth Fjellstove), is also interested in getting an Ice Box as he has School visits in winter from Bergen and the very young kids 8-9yr were not able to go high in to the mountains for snow holing. I showed him our pictures and he thought the Igloo Tool would be a great activity that can be used next to the hotel. Hopefully you get an enquiry. The kids were making snow holes in a snow bank and getting very wet!

The holes in the Igloo were fairly easy to repair. I used the form as shown in photo and packed in snow from outside. The weather was very warm for the week but it lasted well and only the middle fell through after 5 days.
Norway INSTC 2012-072.JPG
Inner form panel used to block melt hole
We were able to ski high in to the mountains later in the week but the conditions were challenging with very rutted snow fields en route to and from summit. Probably caused by the rain and sun.
Norway INSTC 2012-151.JPG
Ridged snow field makes skiing difficult

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:19 am

People tend to shy away from snow shelter trips when the snow conditions are low because they don't know how little snow the ICEBOX uses.
We did get some orders from Norway this season but no one mentioned seeing the ICEBOX or you guys.
We ended up patching a few holes the weekend before last when building igloos but it was from a person falling into/through the igloo.
Those little grooves in the snow are what we get here in spring from the melt water running down. Any rain would carve them much deeper like the ones in your picture.