First igloo of the 2013/14 season is up! (11/24)

This forum is for first time users or beginners
Banff Martin
AntiSpam:Igloo
First igloo of the 2013/14 season is up! (11/24)

Post by Banff Martin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:48 pm

Hello!

We received a good amount of snow a week before, and the temperatures were just below freezing for the Saturday & Sunday of the build. The pad was built the prior Thursday evening in about 2.5 hours. I’d say the total igloo building time was about 13 hours; I had help on the first 2 levels but otherwise built this myself.

As compared to all prior builds, this one was located so that it was protected from the sun; it only receives about 30 minutes per day through a break in the trees. This meant no hill for labor savings on the pad, but no matter. It was built on a basketball court which was quite easy to gather snow from.

I erred both mornings with the pole settings..! This was supposed to be a 9’ build, but instead of using the closest hole on the 11’ section I used the R hole. This required some improvising for the 2nd & 3rd levels. On Sunday I was supposed to set the hole for level 5, but instead built an entire level at the R after level 4! More creativity was needed as to which pole length to keep the form at the correct angle. It did mean using one less setting in the end. Lesson: let the morning coffee take effect and check everything before starting! =)

The result of these adjustments made for a slight angling in between levels 3 & 4, which will likely lead to some degree of buckling out between levels 2 & 3. I think it is also shorter and knew this as I was building, but didn’t mind as I was building alone and it meant a shorter build time. This igloo is for entertainment & refreshing skills for the season anyway – it won’t be slept in. We’ll see how this looks over the months, but I do expect it will do better for sagging than prior igloos left exposed to the sun.

Realizing that one can modify the shape to some degree, I can’t help but wonder what other shapes could be built if one wanted to get creative, and didn’t require the build to last until spring. For example, a more vertical igloo wall 5 or 6 levels high, topped off with a transparent ceiling – a star gazing igloo build! =) (some defrosting/fogging methods likely needed) Thoughts?

I hope those reading this get their snow soon!
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Banff Martin

Re: First igloo of the 2013/14 season is up! (11/24)

Post by Banff Martin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:53 pm

More pics...
Attachments
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG

Banff Martin

Post by Banff Martin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:02 pm

And the last!
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (57.71KiB)Viewed 32308 times
11.JPG
12.JPG
13.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG

Banff Martin

Post by Banff Martin » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:26 am

I'm pleased to say that since the cold snap the igloo has turned rock-hard and shouldn't sag further. We'll see what the flawed geometry does over the months!

Placing a log book inside has been quite entertaining! Many have written notes in it, from as far away as Florida. This alone makes it worth building an igloo in public places, even though no one will use it to sleep in. (part as it is illegal to do so in a the specific area, and part as I've cut the door a couple inches above the floor for safety)

With a bit of luck and enthusiastic rookie helpers, I hope to build an 11' igloo next to this one and connect them. Such is the goal for this season!

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:53 am

Good on ya for getting the first igloo of the season built. It looks like I won't be building until after new years.
A vertical walled igloo with a tarp over it is pretty warm, we did that on our first build with the prototype tool.
Yep, the tarp does frost up and that frost falls on ya just like a tent does.