Where is Ramp in layers?

This forum is for first time users or beginners
Paul C
AntiSpam:Igloo
Where is Ramp in layers?

Post by Paul C » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:04 pm

In reading the instructions, I'd see there was a changing of the pole length at the second (center/middle?) block of the "ramp" at each level. I understand on the first level the the ramp consists of a 1/3rd size block, a 2/3rd size block and a fill size block. I'm guessing that the ramp pole change mentioned would happen on the second layer and you were building on that 2/3rd size block and you'd want to position the form so the pole was in a center line with the lower block for that change. Is that right? But after that all blocks are full size, a photos show a flat spiral upward. So do the other size changes come with the first three blocks of each new layer - that is with the middle of those first three "new layer" blocks?

Also, I see references to distances like 1/8th inch and 1/16th inch which seems pretty hard to discern in snow - but I'll find out. In other comments there was mention of reversing a pole so an igloo diameter was 7" 11" instead of 8'. Does 1 inch make that much difference. My only experience as been the cutting blocks (hardly uniform) from a packed quarry. That consisted of Cut, lift, carry, place, pray, pack gaps, cut, lift, carry, place, pray, pack gaps .... etc. There was hardly an attention to exact measurements; certainly nothing like 1/8th or 1/16th of an inch.

Igloo Ed

Re: Where is Ramp in layers?

Post by Igloo Ed » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:07 pm

Paul C wrote:In reading the instructions, I'd see there was a changing of the pole length at the second (center/middle?) block of the "ramp" at each level. I understand on the first level the the ramp consists of a 1/3rd size block, a 2/3rd size block and a fill size block. I'm guessing that the ramp pole change mentioned would happen on the second layer and you were building on that 2/3rd size block and you'd want to position the form so the pole was in a center line with the lower block for that change. Is that right?
Yes, exactly.
But after that all blocks are full size, a photos show a flat spiral upward.
In photos, the ramp can be seen on the second through about the fourth courses but it gets less and less visible as one gets higher. Although the ramp isn't visible, it still exists and things work out a lot better when moving and fitting the form into place if the ramp change is observed.
So do the other size changes come with the first three blocks of each new layer - that is with the middle of those first three "new layer" blocks?
I use a marker to mark the center of the three block ramp and change at exactly that position each time. A ski pole outside works but a taller natural marker is much better as it doesn't get bumped over and taller helps with visibility when building the last couple courses.
Also, I see references to distances like 1/8th inch and 1/16th inch which seems pretty hard to discern in snow - but I'll find out.
Scratching my head and the only place I can see mentioning a fractional dimension is in untoggling and the pole actually gets a little longer before becoming short or how far the form is spread when packing.
I suspect it was the form spread and that is to teach a feeling. How lightly to push at times.
In other comments there was mention of reversing a pole so an igloo diameter was 7" 11" instead of 8'.
It was mentioned extending the 7ft. pole setup to the last hole so it will build a 7'11" igloo. No reversal at all.
Does 1 inch make that much difference.
The 7ft. igloo is much shorter than the 8ft. igloo. Extending the 7ft. pole setup only makes the 7ft. igloo another five inches taller. It is still much shorter than the 8ft. igloo and uses less snow to consider it when solo instead of the 8ft. igloo. Because it is shorter than the 8ft. igloo, the walls lean in faster and there is less floor space because of it.
My only experience as been the cutting blocks (hardly uniform) from a packed quarry. That consisted of Cut, lift, carry, place, pray, pack gaps, cut, lift, carry, place, pray, pack gaps .... etc. There was hardly an attention to exact measurements; certainly nothing like 1/8th or 1/16th of an inch.
And certainly nothing needs to be exact with the ICEBOX either. The ramp thing... for years I used to switch the pole length when I noticed things didn't seem to fit right any more. It worked fine but did cause a weakness in that area of the wall probably mentioned in the sagging igloos forum. It took me a while to figure out it made a difference if the change occurred at exactly the same spot.
As I've said countless times when mentoring: "It all works, just some works better than others".