Repairing broken parts

General discussion on winter camping.
Igloo Ed
Repairing broken parts

Post by Igloo Ed » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:16 am

The type of plastic used in the ICEBOX is ABS and it can be glued or bonded with any glue containing methylethylketone (MEK) or acetone. The plastic actually melts when using these chemicals and it is a very strong repair.
If the break is a tight crack, full strength MEK or acetone can be used and the thin liquid will wick into the crack and bond the crack back together. If the crack is deformed leaving large gaps, a glue containing MEK or acetone will fill the gaps.
If possible, the two pieces of the broken part can be slid against each other while bonding them and it will start to feel greasy once the chemicals melt the plastic. This forms a great bond/repair.
Plumber's ABS or PVC glue, which is a very thin mixture, will wick into cracks. Hobby shops have glue, containing the chemicals, that is use for gluing plastic models together. This glue is generally thicker and will fill gaps.

Igloo Ed

Re: Repairing broken parts

Post by Igloo Ed » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:23 am

Any pictures of broken parts are appreciated as we try to strength the areas that fail.
Pictures could either be posted here on the forum or sent to me via the email on our web page.
Since I've started this thread and now refer people to it when wanting replacement parts, we are mostly selling lost parts anymore.
Thanks for any pictures you can share,

Andy
AntiSpam:Igloo

Post by Andy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi Ed

Thanks for your advice after breaking the socket pole on our Glen Affric Trip in February. I used some pure Acetone and was able to make a complete repair that is almost invisible and as strong as the original. Used socket on Norway trip without any problems.
Socket Pole.JPG
Broken Socket pole before repair
Norway INSTC 2012-074.JPG
Socket Pole in use in Norway

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:06 am

Andy wrote:Hi Ed

Thanks for your advice after breaking the socket pole on our Glen Affric Trip in February. I used some pure Acetone and was able to make a complete repair that is almost invisible and as strong as the original. Used socket on Norway trip without any problems.
Thanks for the pictures, Andy. Glad the repair worked for you.
People have told me they fashioned some wire to do the job of the Socket Pole when they've unknowingly lost them and arrive at camp without it.