Snow is flying in Colorado

General discussion on winter camping.
Hiatus
Snow is flying in Colorado

Post by Hiatus » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:16 pm

10" of wet heavy snow last night. I thought about calling in sick so I could build an igloo in the back. Checked the weathe forecast and saw that day time highs were going to be back into the 60's by weeks end. I decided to go to work and play later. So who's going to build the first igloo of the 2011-2012 season?

Igloo Ed

Re: Snow is flying in Colorado

Post by Igloo Ed » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:19 am

Hiatus wrote:10" of wet heavy snow last night. I thought about calling in sick so I could build an igloo in the back. Checked the weathe forecast and saw that day time highs were going to be back into the 60's by weeks end. I decided to go to work and play later. So who's going to build the first igloo of the 2011-2012 season?
I'm game, wanna go build one tomorrow or Sunday in the Park?

Hiatus

Post by Hiatus » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:54 am

Sorry Ed. I obviously need to check the forum more often.

I just loaned out my Icebox to my bro-in-law so he could build an igloo with his kids. That means I'd have to mooch off of you. You need a hand to build an early season igloo?

Tom

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:36 pm

Hiatus wrote:Sorry Ed. I obviously need to check the forum more often.

I just loaned out my Icebox to my bro-in-law so he could build an igloo with his kids. That means I'd have to mooch off of you. You need a hand to build an early season igloo?

Tom
I normally do a Thanksgiving trip but this year I will be visiting family. The second or third Thanksgiving I've missed since 82.
But after this week's coming storm, I'm sure there'll be enough snow. a trip would work out for me the next two weekends or then after Turkey Day.
A friend and I did go up on Sat. and we built most of a 7 footer just to have some fun and let him see how it works.
Go ahead and mooch off me. :D

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:01 pm

Hiatus wrote:Sorry Ed. I obviously need to check the forum more often.
You need a hand to build an early season igloo?Tom
Some help on the weekend of Dec. 17th would be great or it could be built the weekend before (next weekend).

Well, the first igloo posted on the forum anyway...
I went up yesterday (Sat.) and built an igloo for a friend and his family to use on day outings as a play area this winter.
Found a great site by a very large boulder:
Crew.jpg
Setting.jpg
Bird.jpg
Closing.jpg
Late.jpg
Snowing.jpg
All in all, a great igloo site with protection from the wind and a view not far away. Just enough of a stroll to loosen the muscles up a bit.

linguistbreaker
AntiSpam:Igloo

Post by linguistbreaker » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:14 pm

Did you seriously get a bird in that photo? Where in the picture is it?

Thanks so much Ed! It was was a blast, can't wait to build another.

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:22 pm

linguistbreaker wrote:Did you seriously get a bird in that photo? Where in the picture is it?

Thanks so much Ed! It was was a blast, can't wait to build another.
Heh, I was thinking more of "bird's eye view", from above, as I stomped the trail up there to take the picture.
Glad you got a chance to work out those shovel muscles. They do get pretty strong after ya build a few.
Looks like I'll just be snowshoeing this weekend. I need to get a good workout.

Andy
AntiSpam:Igloo

Post by Andy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:32 am

Hi Ed
Snow starting to fly here in Scotland! We had 5" last tuesday at the house but has been a melt since then. Mountains have good cover with deep drifts and more forecast during next week. With a staff member leaving us last July I'm having to cover "On Call" more often so I've not managed any skiing yet but some ski club members have braved the winds. It was a little too windy for everyone last Thursday - 165mph on Cairngorm summit at -7 Celcius so a horrendous wind chill and blizzard conditions. It'll certainly help to build a good snow base for the season with a freeze thaw cycle.
I've planned two club Igloo building trips for the new year and hope to get Chris to help out with the two extra Ice Boxes since there is a lot of interest. We had a new members night in November and have gained quite a few club members who seem very interested in the tool.
I'll post when I get out on skis.
Regards Andy

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:47 am

Andy wrote:Hi Ed
Snow starting to fly here in Scotland! We had 5" last tuesday at the house but has been a melt since then. Mountains have good cover with deep drifts and more forecast during next week. With a staff member leaving us last July I'm having to cover "On Call" more often so I've not managed any skiing yet but some ski club members have braved the winds. It was a little too windy for everyone last Thursday - 165mph on Cairngorm summit at -7 Celcius so a horrendous wind chill and blizzard conditions. It'll certainly help to build a good snow base for the season with a freeze thaw cycle.
I've planned two club Igloo building trips for the new year and hope to get Chris to help out with the two extra Ice Boxes since there is a lot of interest. We had a new members night in November and have gained quite a few club members who seem very interested in the tool.
I'll post when I get out on skis.
Regards Andy
Hi Andy,
I had heard about your high winds from Chris and yes, that should make some great drifts and snowfields to build igloos on. We haven't received any snow since last weekend but yesterday I returned to the igloo we built last weekend. It is doing well as it seems it's late enough in the season that the snow is staying frozen now and not softening up in the shade. The igloo is in a nice shady spot too.
I hope you are able to get out more than just your scheduled trips. Being on call doesn't sound very conducive to getting out though, good luck.
I hope your club trips go good, pretty special that you build the igloos on top of the mountains and get to experience that. I love spending the evenings up there and seeing the sun set. The sunrises aren't to bad either.
Igloo on,