Minnesota Winter 2012-2013

General discussion on winter camping.
kealia
Minnesota Winter 2012-2013

Post by kealia » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Once again, winter in Minnesota has started with a wimper. The first week of December ends tommorrow and we have absolutely no snow. Sure, the snow depth ten day ago was amost three inches, but the warm weather and rain of last week melted this snow before it become "igloo" depth. The forecast mentions a possible chance of a little snow over the weekend, but nothing significant.

Last winter was a bust. Three days at the end of April had enough snow on the ground to build an igloo, but the temperatures rose to 50 and it was over. Never before have I survived an entire winter without using my snow shovel.

Hopefully this winter will bring a return to our normal Minnesota winter, complete with cold temperatures and deep snow. My igloo kit is ready. All I need is snow.

Igloo Ed

Re: Minnesota Winter 2012-2013

Post by Igloo Ed » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:04 pm

kealia wrote:Once again, winter in Minnesota has started with a wimper. The first week of December ends tommorrow and we have absolutely no snow. Sure, the snow depth ten day ago was amost three inches, but the warm weather and rain of last week melted this snow before it become "igloo" depth. The forecast mentions a possible chance of a little snow over the weekend, but nothing significant.

Last winter was a bust. Three days at the end of April had enough snow on the ground to build an igloo, but the temperatures rose to 50 and it was over. Never before have I survived an entire winter without using my snow shovel.

Hopefully this winter will bring a return to our normal Minnesota winter, complete with cold temperatures and deep snow. My igloo kit is ready. All I need is snow.
Hopefully that melted snow helps freeze the ground so any new snow lasts longer. I see you are forecast for snow this weekend. It'd be nice if it turned into a whopper but the moisture just doesn't seem to be making it inland very far from the west coast.
Colorado's snow was below average last season and I've also noticed the "snow shadow" from the Divide has moved closer to the Divide and higher in altitude too.
This season has been pitiful with the snow only lasting above timberline.
This last Thanksgiving is the first one since 1982 that I haven't had a snowshelter due to lack of snow.
The climate models that the climate change boys are showing are scary. Hopefully we all get hit with at least one of the whopper storms it'll produce.

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Sounds like you guys got up to 15 inches in Minnesota. I hope you're to busy building igloos to post how happy you are.

kealia

Post by kealia » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:46 am

Well, Southern Minnesota stole our snow! The big storm took a last minute turn to the south and left us with 2.6" of dry, powdery fluff. I suppose if I scraped up all the snow for 100 yards in all directions and sprayed it with a hose, I might be able to make a decent igloo, but that sounds like to much work!

Another storm is forecast for this weekend. The current track is south of here again, but they are notoriously unpredictable. We can only hope!

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:23 pm

kealia wrote:Well, Southern Minnesota stole our snow! The big storm took a last minute turn to the south and left us with 2.6" of dry, powdery fluff. I suppose if I scraped up all the snow for 100 yards in all directions and sprayed it with a hose, I might be able to make a decent igloo, but that sounds like to much work!

Another storm is forecast for this weekend. The current track is south of here again, but they are notoriously unpredictable. We can only hope!
I was wondering how much you got as I wasn't certain just how far north you are and I haven't seen any reports for northern MN either. All the reports I see are from Mpls and south. The most I've heard is 14 inches.
I remember you saying you were way north. How far from the Border?
Yep, I hope the next one tracks dead center over ya.
I'd seen a great weather model for climate change and it was saying the west coast and the northern states were going to get the storms this year. Along with the climate change comes more extremes. It'll either snow like it did for Mpls. or not snow at all. The west coast has been getting hammered and the northern track has been getting good snow all the way to the western side of Glacier National Park and that seems to knock most of the moisture out of the storm cells. The cells appear to be smaller but still able to produce a lot of snow in a narrow path.
The moisture that is left for Colorado after dumping on the west coast is not much. The storm cells look pretty dark but it is mostly snowing above timberline if not just on the summits themselves.
It's so dry here on the plains that I've only had to scape my windshield three times this winter.
Good luck,

kealia

Post by kealia » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:52 am

Well... Saturday morning, and the next storm has moved in. RAIN and 36 degrees! The measly 3" of snow on the ground last night is quickly melting into 1/2 inch of slush. No igloos today.

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:07 pm

Ouch, ouch ouch! Time to fuel up the airplane and head to the snow?