Have you ever been paid to build an igloo for a companies use?

General discussion on winter camping.
Banff Martin
AntiSpam:Igloo
Have you ever been paid to build an igloo for a companies use?

Post by Banff Martin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:11 pm

Hey Ed,

Have you ever been paid/commissioned to build an igloo for a 3rd party? I've started such a conversation and am curious as to your perspective.

Thanks!
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Igloo Ed

Re: Have you ever been paid to build an igloo for a companies use?

Post by Igloo Ed » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:03 pm

I've never receive any money for building igloos, it has always been for the fun of it and sometimes the exposure.
I am coming as close as ever though this season. I am volunteering an igloo build that is being auctioned off to benefit Nature Conservancy. A good friend has done it the last two years (it was his idea and his way of paying forward) and he says he wants some time off this year. The auction tries to center the auction items on "life experiences". The last two seasons had the bid won by three elderly couples each time. The first season's winning bid was $600 and last season's winning bid was $900. Keep in mind that the people at these auctions want to give.
One perspective, people tend to think the tool has some kind of remote button. They don't realize just how much work it is and I think they would balk at any amount that is fair. But then too, people have payed large sums for a load of snow to build the igloos.