Solo build wannabe - tips and suggestions needed

Information and tips on building solo igloos.
Igloo Ed
Re: Solo build wannabe - tips and suggestions needed

Post by Igloo Ed » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks for the follow up, Martin, it's nice to hear back on how people do.
The tip about a detachable shovel handle is important for that last block or two built from the inside.
I forgot to mention that.
It is true too, that once one starts doing it, it becomes obvious. Things can change, depending on snow conditions too.
I remember laying confidently on an igloo and packing nearly everything from the outside once. Your igloo looks a bit tall, did you have the pole extended for the 7' 11" igloo? I wouldn't be able to lay on your igloo and reach the top.

PineMartyn
AntiSpam:Igloo

Post by PineMartyn » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:03 pm

Gee Ed, you don't miss much when it comes to igloo dimensions, do ya?

Yes, my igloo was too tall. I was so distracted from talking to the camera that I completely messed up when putting the pole together. I forget now what it is I did wrong, but I only noticed that things were seriously wrong when I was two thirds through the 3rd course. The walls were way too vertical and not leaning in enough at all. So, I did a bit of set-of-the-pants adjusting of the pole for the rest of that course and part of the 4th course and it all worked out. I've learned that, as important as it is to make the proper adjustments, mistakes of this sort are usually corrigible, even in mid build. I used to sweat when I made a mistake, but now I don't worry about it, knowing that I'll still have a serviceable igloo in the end, it just might sag sooner that if it had the perfect shape.

Cheers,
-Martin
No one has ever been heard to say on a deathbed, "I wish I'd put in more time at the office".
http://www.youtube.com/user/PineMartyn
http://gonecanoeing.blogspot.com/

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:11 am

PineMartyn wrote:Gee Ed, you don't miss much when it comes to igloo dimensions, do ya?
:twisted:
I used to sweat when I made a mistake, but now I don't worry about it, knowing that I'll still have a serviceable igloo in the end, it just might sag sooner that if it had the perfect shape.
I often say, "It all works, just some works better than others". It's just if one makes to many mistakes, it takes a long time to build the igloo.
Glad you had a good igloo season in spite of the poor snow conditions you had this season.