successful first attempt (11' solo)

Information and tips on building solo igloos.
shapeshifter
successful first attempt (11' solo)

Post by shapeshifter » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:47 pm

this was accomplished with great difficulty because of the height of the igloo requiring having to climb up and down ladders on the higher levels to self-serve the snow. harvesting was greatly assisted with the use of a pack sled (pulk). this was my first attempt at using the icebox and quite the learning experience. it took me just over 24 hours to build including bathroom breaks, rest, refueling and a lot of stretching. looking forward to the next build out.

Igloo Ed

Re: successful first attempt (11' solo)

Post by Igloo Ed » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:29 pm

That is the most perfectly shaped igloo I've ever seen for a first time build. Way to go!
I take a milk crate to stand on for my backcountry trips where I'm using a pulk to haul my gear. It also makes a great camp stool after the igloo is complete.
Something to stand on makes it a lot easier for those last couple courses of blocks when reaching the form from the outside, on a eleven footer, is pretty much impossible.
Welcome to the forum.

Fish36

Re: successful first attempt (11' solo)

Post by Fish36 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:22 pm

Nice Job!!! I did a 11 foot with my wife and it took us 6 hrs. We only had 3 inches of snow and she said she needed a train to import the snow. :P

I was the packer :mrgreen:

But that is one mean job solo!!!!