Replacement poles please!

General discussion on winter camping.
Banff Martin
AntiSpam:Igloo
Replacement poles please!

Post by Banff Martin » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:35 pm

Hey Ed,

Yesterday we built a 9', and for the first time when going up to finish the final block, I fell through the top taking about 4 blocks with me and hit the tool on the way down. The 8/9, general pole, and 11 section appear bent and the toggle doesn't want to stay in place.

How might I get replacements please? Won't be building this coming weekend based on weather forecast, but hoping to build as soon as the 26th.

I was able to replace the lost blocks in levels 6, 7 & finish the roof, but I doubt I can perfectly straighten the poles and the toggle is an issue..!

Thanks!

Edit: Just found the online tool to buy replacement. Ignore! =)
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Igloo Ed

Re: Replacement poles please!

Post by Igloo Ed » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:50 am

Ouch, that could hurt. I've fallen through when hamming it up with a pair of snowshoes on a powder built igloo. Luckily, I didn't get hurt as it already had the trench across the igloo also.
Hope you've received your new parts.

Banff Martin
AntiSpam:Igloo

Post by Banff Martin » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:36 am

Well, I did hit my nose on the way down and bled on the floor, but it doesn't take much for my nose to do that. Made it more dramatic? =)

Yes, the parts got here quickly. Glad I also bought a new screw-on pivot point, as I also fell through the igloo built the Saturday after this one! No nose smacking, but the pivot point decided to shear off its mount. Was able to repair lost blocks and finish the job regardless. Guessing the snow was unconditioned in those blocks to be weak again.

I've since come up with a better way to demonstrate snow conditioning, so hopefully next time I'll be working with better material and won't have another cave-in when trying to finish. Method is to make a snow pile, and trample it while constantly bringing the pile back to me with a shovel while turning a few times. 30-45 seconds of this, then move the trampled and conditioned snow to where it will be used.

Thanks!
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 am

Ha, yes the red on the white snow does draw attention. I don't climb up on the igloos anymore, them bones is getting older now days.
Conditioning the snow does make all the difference in how strong the blocks are when moving the form and also in how much the igloos sag.
In backcountry use, the snow is petty much right there and the only conditioning it gets is when I sweep it over to the igloo before shoveling it into the form. Some times the snow is far enough away that it gets swept twice or more and that snow packs that much easier too and is stronger. The cold powder does only get so strong though. It was a powder igloo when I fell through with my snowshoes.
Trampling on the snow like you do produces the strongest snow.
I find I don't generally go back and use my backcountry igloos so I don't worry about strength or the igloo sagging. Consequently, I only work the snow enough to be able to build the blocks.