Locations for Winter Camping- accessible by Car

General discussion on winter camping.
Allen Pack

Locations for Winter Camping- accessible by Car

Post by Allen Pack » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:29 pm

I want to take a group of boy scouts winter camping at the end of February-somewhere within a couple of hours of Denver Metro. Can anyone give me a couple of suggestions for drive-in locations? We want to do Igloos/snowcaves so it needs to be a place with deep snow. Thanks.

Hiatus

Re: Locations for Winter Camping- accessible by Car

Post by Hiatus » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:06 pm

Berthoud Pass. Lots of snow. Good parking lot. And your igloo would probably get a lot of use in the weeks following.

Another place would be up near Chicago Lake at the base of Mt. Evans.

Then there's always up near Bear Lake in RMNP. Or at the base of the old Hidden Valley ski area.

How about the Lake Eldora ski area just outside of Nederland.

Brainard Lake on the east side of the Indian Peaks Wilderness... just outside of Ward. I don't know how far the road is plowed though. Lots of people X-country and snow shoe in the area so I know the road is maintained some distance in.

The old St. Mary's ski area. Look for the Fall River Road just west of Idaho Springs.

There must be something up around Evergreen. How about Elk Meadow Park. You might want to call about snow considering the dry warm winds we had a few weeks ago.

Allen Pack

Post by Allen Pack » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:50 am

Thanks!

Igloo Ed

Post by Igloo Ed » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:35 pm

Allen Pack wrote:Thanks!
The road to Brainard Lake is open to the gates about 1/4 mile before RedRocks Lake. It's a nice area and easy to get to.
Berthoud Pass or Loveland Pass are quite dramatic. Loveland Pass only if the weather is nice cause it's exposed. Berthoud has trees.